Friday 11 September 2009

Ignore the Ignorant

I probably haven't listened to the new Cribs album enough to merit a review but I'm bored and i I get bored words build up inside me and I end up doing something I regret. But I digress.

Ignore the Ignorant is the fourth Cribs album, and the first to feature former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr. But you knew that anyway, right?

Despite what some people (read, boys on internet forums) are saying it doesn't sound like the Smiths fronted by Ryan Jarman. No. Although some of the riffs are distinctly reminiscent of Marr's old band (particularly the opening of We Share the Same Skies, which reminds me a lot of You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby)
the production and structure of the songs mean it still sounds very much like the Cribs.
Highlight for me so far is City of Bugs on which Jarman seems to adopt a drawl very similar to that of his old pal Alex Kapranos. Still it'll take a few listens to fully work it out. I know it will never be a patch on the New Fellas, but it's certainly an improvement on Men's Needs which despite Kapranos's production was in my opinion fairly dire.

Controversial, me?

No comments:

Post a Comment